Whether you believe it or not, your toothbrush can harbor germs, bacteria, and oral infections if you do not take proper care of it each day. So, to help you have the safest, cleanest, and most effective cleaning tool possible, our Kevin J. Reece, DDS team recommends doing the following things:
· Wash your hands with soap and warm water before and after you brush and floss your teeth. This will help reduce the transfer of bacteria from your hands to your toothbrush.
· After you are done brushing, rinse your toothbrush with warm water and store it upright to dry. Please do not put a cover over the toothbrush’s bristles until it is completely dry. Bacteria tends to grow in moist areas.
· When you use your toothbrush, make sure it’s completely dry. If this is a tough task, purchase two toothbrushes and switch between them so they can take turns drying.
· Don’t share your toothbrush with anyone—not even your family members. Doing so will quickly spread germs. Also, please make sure your toothbrush bristles are not touching other toothbrush bristles while it’s being stored.
· Make sure you replace your toothbrush after you have been sick. You don’t want your cold or flu germs living on your brush.
· If you have been sick, please make sure to use a separate tube of toothpaste so you don’t get your family members or roommates sick.
Dr. Kevin J. Reece and our dental team care for you and your oral health, which is why we encourage you to call 801-465-4474 if you have any questions or if you would like to know more. The more you know about toothbrush care and oral hygiene in Payson, Utah, the better off you’ll be! So, don’t be afraid to call our office and talk to our team. We look forward to hearing from you!